June 04, 2014
Dost Welfare Foundation, Peshawar
Terms of Reference – Consultant/Specialist Planning, Monitoring,
Evaluation, & Research
Dost Welfare Foundation (DOST) is a not-for-profit organization established in 1992 in Peshawar, Pakistan. Since its inception, it has been reaching out to people living on margins of society, and bringing them back into mainstream development. DOST works with street children, drug addicts, poorest/destitute women, prisoners, refugees, youth and general public. It strives to restore their lives, dignity, and humanity, and to bring them back as contributing members of society. As a part of reorganization, DOST plans to seek services of Consultant/Specialist in Planning Monitoring and Evaluation to facilitate in improving and updating its Monitoring and Evaluation system.
2. Goal/objectives of the assignment:
One of key objectives of this assignment is to develop an effective Monitoring and Evaluation system for Dost Welfare Foundation with an inherent capacity to;
3. Key Deliverables:
The consultant is expected to
1. Develop an efficient, expandable and interoperable Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Research system followed by its testing for DOST programmes, units and project needs.
2. Ensure that M& E system is capable of providing quick analysis of trends and comparisons against defined indicators at various levels. This calls for advice and guidance on tools for collection, entry, analysis of desired data, selection of outputs/outcomes and corresponding indicators etc. Furthermore, it is able to generate periodic (monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual) quantitative and qualitative gender disaggregated reports. DOST will provide list of reports that the system should be able to generate. The Consultant should ensure that there are provisions for PMER and programme staff to be able to customize generated reports.
3. Develop mechanism for ensuring effective internal coordination with other units such as HR, Finance, and Administration etc. This calls for developing well coordinated data-base regarding programs/projects in consultation with all relevant units.
4. Orient MER staff and management on quantitative and qualitative research methods and develop analytical tools to identify gaps and propose solutions;
5. Support and develop staff’s capacity (especially PMER professionals and managers);
a. in project formulation and proposal writing for onward submission to prospective donors and partners.
b. for bidding as consortium with national and international partners to tap available funding in relevant sectors.
c. to document good practices and lessons learned for sharing with partners and donors and improving future programmes/projects.
6. He/she should also support in developing a directory/data-base of potential donors for possibly supporting existing or expanding DOST interventions.
7. Develop manuals and modules to train existing staff in PMER and DOST management on designed M & E system.
8. In close collaboration with HR, the consultant should develop a concrete plan for developing existing staff as potential managers and recruit prospective professionals in PMER section for assuming challenging roles and responsibilities at various levels under new/designed M & E system.
4. Key Indicators for consultant and time frame of the assignment:
The consultant would be hired for a period of six months extendable to one year. The assignment should ideally commence from July 1st, 2014. The consultant would be based at DOST head office Hayatabad, Peshawar and would be under direct management of Executive Director. During course of this assignment, he/she may be required to travel to treatment & rehabilitation, day care and Dar ul Falah centers and all other project locations to develop a good understanding of DOST interventions. He/She would provide monthly updates on the assignment to Executive Director. Some of the key performance indicators for PMER consultant comprise:
i. Develop and design draft M & E framework/System and data bases along-with relevant forms, assessment/data collection tools and processes.
Trial-run M&E framework/system and produce and analyze quantitative and qualitative reports for a period of two months (minimum) and share findings with DOST Management/Staff.
Produce M&E training manual/module and train DOST management/staff in PMER on key aspects e.g. updated M & E system, proposal writing, data collection tools and templates, data-bases, and documenting key lessons.
The above tasks and time frame will be refined and confirmed in consultation with preferred candidate during contract negotiations.
Given scope of work, expertise of consultant and timeframe, a market competitive package would be offered to the selected candidate. Besides placement at Head office Hayatabad, Peshawar, travel support to field offices would also be provided by DOST.
. Familiarity with setting up robust M & E systems for critical reflection of programmatic interventions;
. Availability to travel to field sites, and ability to work well with and guide (both in person and from a distance) program/project teams.
. Highly structured and organized and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
. Ability to build trust and develop and maintain effective work relationships with sensitivity and respect for diversity and inclusive participation;
. Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
7. Competencies and Qualifications:
Advanced University Degree in a relevant discipline. Minimum 8-10 years experience in Monitoring and Evaluation, programme/project management. Experience in undertaking at least two similar assignments in the past and working with diverse organizations.
Submission should address the expertise required in this ToR and include:
. a brief resume highlighting relevant qualifications and work experience
. a summary (including outcomes) of similar assignments undertaken previously
. relevant experience and knowledge of working diverse organizations on similar assignments.
. a brief outline of the approach, methodology and work plan
. at least two references
All submissions, addressed to Executive Director, must be consistent with the ToRs and should arrive no later than 12 pm, Wednesday 2nd July,2014 either by post or through e-mail to the following addresses:
# 08, Sector B-2, Phase 5, Hayatabad, Peshawar